Let’s face it, traveling can be expensive. The thrill and romance of travel is very alluring but it can cost one a pretty penny or two if you do not plan according and spend wisely. Some of us are not rich so we have to plan our travels and money carefully. Some people would have to save their money for a period of time to be able to go somewhere for a great holiday.
There are many ways to save money for your travels. Some people would even opt for earning extra cash for their next trip. If you want enough cash for your next vacation, here are some suggestions on how to save and even earn money for your travels.
1) Start cooking at home – we all know it can get costly to eat out often or even buy take out for dinner every night. Buying lunch every day can cost you as well. The best way to save money of everyday meals is start cooking at home. Make a list, go shopping weekly or bi-weekly and buy only whatever you need to make simple yet delicious meals at home.
2) Purge and Sell – I’m sure you have personal items at home you no longer need, use or want. Why not sell these items on Ebay for extra cash to those who needs them and does not mind second-hand goods. Just be sure not purchasing the return for other frivolous things.
3) Get a part-time job – the holidays are the perfect time to get a part-time job in the US as it is the busiest time of the year. Depending on your regular daily schedule, you can take a job that would at least allow you to work 2-3 days a week for a few hours at a time.
4) Turn your hobby into a profit – Are you good at taking photos? Do you like to paint, or do you like babysitting children. These things can lead into extra cash for your next vacation. This is something you can do all year around.
5) Join a car-sharing service – the most popular of all them is Uber and Lyft. If you have free time and if your car runs well, why not sign up with these companies as a driver to earn extra cash. This is also a great way to save money on transportation like cab fare when traveling. The prices in these car-sharing service are often 30% less than a taxi cab.
6) Brew your own coffee, bring a water bottle – everyday we are all tempted to go to the coffee shop to buy a medium-size latte or even a bottle of drinking water. These may not cost much in the beginning but if done frequently the cost can seriously add up. The money you spent on coffee or bottled water could have gone to your vacation fund.
7) Use public transportation to and from work – If you’re one of those people who lives in a city such as New York and San Francisco, why not use their public transportation system to get around town. They are efficient, on-time and more often than not cheaper than driving around in your own car. Think about the money you’ll save on car payments, gas, car insurance and parking. The money you save could have gone to your vacation fund.
These are just a few tips but I’m sure there’s more. Why not share a tip or two about saving money for your travel fund by sending them in the comment section below or via my social media post. I would like to hear from you.